Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Vintage Thursday



This paper cutting in the frame is a gift from my wedding.

Although it isn't the best picture, a friend's Mom painstakingly cut this design.

It's one of my favorite Christmas decorations. I obviously display it by my kitchen sink, so I remember the love she poured into it.



Anyone know what the name of this techinque is ?




My new friend has dedicated a blog post for me, I am double blessed.

Check out more Vintage Thursday post here !

9 comments:

This IS our life! said...

I think it looks really neat. Such a talent whoever made it has.

Grandma Faith said...

That artwork is special. It looks very intricate. Take care.

Coloradolady said...

What a special gift. I love the fact that you framed it, and keep it out to enjoy. Very talanted person indeed.

Anonymous said...

did you get the "crafty gene" from your mom? That is soooooo cool!

Carrie said...

This paper-cutting technique is from a German craft called scherenschnitte which means "scissors' cut". Other European countries also had papercutting crafts.

mub said...

I see Carrie beat me to answering your question about the name! Isn't it wonderful? My mom used to do it too, but I was never patient and steady enough with scissors to do it.

Anonymous said...

How lovely and sooo special that you treasure it for the work that went into it :) xx

S'more of my Thoughts said...

Oh, I love it. We saw someone cutting paper like that a few years ago at the Waterford Fair. I think he's there every year. You should check it out - it's a GREAT fair to take the kids to - lots of craftspeople there doing things like that, and wood carving, soap making, etc. I bought a little paper cutting (of an old schoolhouse) that he put in between glass as a sun catcher for our schoolroom. Check out the Waterford Fair next weekend if you can (Oct. 3, 4, 5) - it's great fun!!

AmyK said...

Those are very neat. And what a heritage they display!